During these long, winter months — when it is far too cold and unappealing to venture outside — there is no better time to get busy in the kitchen and indulge in some seasonal baking.
One of the most visited web sources for recipes is allrecipes.com, where you can find thousands of different dishes categorized by meal, difficulty level, healthiness, and more. Now, the site’s top-rated recipes are conveniently available in a print and online magazine, making this a go-to resource that both budding and experienced chefs will want in their kitchen.Start a free 30-day trial with Texture’s magazine subscriptions and gain access to Allrecipes dishes, tips and tricks, and real kitchen stories on your tablet or smartphone.
A great recipe to tackle this winter is Beef and Vegetable Stew — a hearty meal that is comforting on cold days and still low in fat. Hundreds of chefs have attested to this recipe’s success online, making it featured in one of latest issues of Allrecipes Magazine. This recipe works well with your preferred substitutions: a different kind of broth or vegetables can be used within the dish as well.
- 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low fat, low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- Remove any remaining pieces of fat from the meat. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Sauté the meat in the oil until it becomes brown on all sides (approximately 10 minutes). Remove the meat and set it aside.
- Add the tomato paste and the onion to the pot, and sauté over medium heat until the onion is tender (approximately 5 minutes). Stir often. Add the meat and beef broth to the skillet and combine with the onion and tomato paste. Cover and simmer on low heat until meat becomes tender (for approximately 1 to ½ hours).
- Add the crushed red pepper flakes, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, potatoes and carrots. Let the ingredients simmer and cover for about 45 minutes. Add water if mixture appears to be too stick.
- Add mushrooms and peas. Allow stew to heat up for approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Remove rosemary sprig and bay leaf and serve.
Thanks to All Recipes for the tasty recipe above.